Reading: MaryJanice Davidson’s Undead series (hail, Queen Betsy!)
Watching: Rex the Runt (hilarious claymation series by Aardman)
Listening to: Creeping in my Soul by Cryoshell
And so, with a new year, come the New Years Goals. Not resolutions, because they suck and I just don’t like the implications of the word. Much rather work around ‘goal’.
This time last year I wrote a post about what makes a goal a goal, specifically a SMART goal. Make it Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. And as I look back on those goals, I see I didn’t exactly achieve all of them 🙂 Which is okay, because I at least attempted them. So on that basis, here are mine for 2011 (yes, some are ’10 rehashes!):
- I’ll write and submit two books aimed at Desire by the end of the year
- I’ll finish rom com short story/novella by June
- I’ll finish first draft of erotic space opera and pitch it at RWA’s August conference
- I will post to my blog at least every two weeks
- I’ll design and print postcards for my new book coming out in March/April
- I’ll work on new promo products for ARRC in March, RWAC in August
- I’ll revamp my website
Craft Education (developing/strengthening skills)
- read up/find out more about effective marketing strategies
- I’ll make a dent in all those unread how-to books on my shelves!
- I’ll read at least two new-to-me authors
- I’ll read at least one unread how-to
Outreach (helping others)
- I will judge at least one RWAust contest
- I will read for RWAmerica’s RITA contest
- I’ll be more proactive with offering to read my critique group’s work
- I’ll refine and finish my “Pain Free Plotting” workshop in preparation for speaking engagements
- I’ll approach local schools. libraries and community centres to offer writing/educational workshops
It may look like a long list, but really, some of these things I’m either already doing or just about done. The big challenge is writing those books!
Do you have any specific goals/plans to achieve this year? I’d love to hear them!